To coordinate, support and advocate for Local Governments for sustainable, efficient and effective service delivery in the decentralized system of governance.
To have a democratic, participatory, decentralized local government system that can sustain development and deliver services efficiently and effectively to the people.
I am pleased to welcome you to the Ministry of Local Government website which is intended to inform the public about the decentralization policy and how it has transformed the local governance of Uganda.
The Minister of Local Government is Hon. Adolf Mwesige.
Functions and Mandate of the Ministry:
The Ministry is mandated to carry out a number of responsibilities in the Local Government Act as follows:-
· To inspect, monitor, and where necessary offer technical advice/assistance, support supervision and training to all Local Governments.
· To coordinate and advise Local Governments for purposes of harmonization and advocacy.
· To act a Liaison/Linkage Ministry with respect to other Central Government Ministries and Departments, Parastatals, Private Sector, Regional and International Organizations.
· To research, analyze, develop and formulate national policies on all taxes, fees, levies, rates for Local Governments.
·To research, analyze, develop, establish and disseminate national standards on accounting manuals, financial regulations, internal audit guidelines, tender board regulations public accounts regulations for Local Governments.
· To research, analyze, design or develop structures, e.g. financial systems, information systems, procedures, internal management systems for Local Governments within the framework of functions of the Local Governments Act, 1997.
· To interpret and undertake sensitization programmes for Local Governments with respect to the Local Governments Act, 1997 and to design and develop training materials for various modules.
· To inspect and coordinate decentralisation policy and legislation to all line Ministries and Departments of Government.
· To harmonize, coordinate and advocate requests for Line Ministry inputs from Local Governments or vice versa.
· To harmonize, coordinate and play the advocacy role on requests from Local Governments for donor or other organizational assistance.
· To research, analyze, develop and formulate criteria for demarcation, creation and grading of urban areas, sub-counties and districts.
· To coordinate activities of a District Council in case of taking over the administration of a District Council by the President under Article 202 of the Constitution.
Key Elements of the Decentralisation Process:
- The key elements of the decentralisation policy include the following:
- The devolution of powers, functions and services to the people at appropriate levels where they can best manage and direct their affairs
- Empowerment of the people to participate in and take decisions on all matters affecting their lives
- The transfer and distribution of adequate resources to support the implementation of decentralisation
- To establish in each Local Government a sound financial base with reliable sources of revenue.
- Building capacity of Local Governments to plan, initiate and execute policies in respect of all matters affecting the people in their areas.