To provide necessary support to Local Councils for efficient and effective local governance.
- Designing and developing training and sensitization programmes for Local Councils.
- Ensuring that vacant posts in the hierarchy of Local Councils are filled, in liaison with the Electoral Commission.
- To process and advise local governments on ordinances and bye-laws, in liaison with the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs.
- Assessing and monitoring the relationship between elected and appointed officials in Local Governments.
- To carry out technical studies on alteration of boundaries of Local Government units as they arise.
Performance in FY 2011/12
i) The Local Governments Bill was gazetted and it is to be tabled in parliament to facilitate election of village and parish local councils.
ii) A comprehensive induction exercise for the Councilors elected during the 2011 general elections was conducted, covering all local governments around the country;
iii) Conflicts resolved in Sironko, Masindi, Gomba, Kween, Mbarara, Kyegegwa, Bulambuli, Bugiri , Kaabong, Tororo and Entebbe Municipal LG .