To provide the required support and technical guidance in order to promote democratic governance, advocacy, transparency and accountability in Urban Local Governments.
- To assess performance of Urban Local Governments in the delivery of services to the population.
- To help promote staff training and development.
- To put in place mechanisms that make Urban Councils adhere to established legal and policy framework plus standards.
- To advise relevant line ministries on areas where they need to improve their services to the Urban Councils.
- To advocate, represent, protect and defend Urban Council interests at all levels.
- To carry out technical studies on the creation and upgrading of Rural Growth Centers and Urban Councils.
- To develop training and sensitization programmes for Urban Councils.
- To undertake support supervision, monitoring and mentoring of Urban Local Governments of local governments.
Performance in FY 2011/12
i) 16 Urban Councils of Bombo, Gulu, Mukono, Busia, Masindi ,Iganga, Njeru, Buikwe, Lugazi, Nkokonjeru, Bweyale, Bulegeni, Masaka, Kabale, Rukungiri and Ntungamo were monitored and provided with requisite support;
ii) The Market Act under review;
iii) Under the Naguru-Nakawa re-development project, the sites were fenced off
following the departure of the tenants.