To undertake systematic verification of adherence to established legal and policy framework, regulations, guidelines, procedures and rules to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in the operations of urban local governments.
- To monitor financial management systems in Urban Local Governments.
- To assess the performance of all Urban Local Governments.
- To prevent misappropriation and misuse of public funds.
- To put in place mechanisms for Urban Local Governments to implement sectoral policies of line ministries and situational reports.
- To undertake special surveys to determine value for money.
- To advise on appropriate follow up actions
- To evaluate periodic and situational reports from Urban Local Governments.
Performance in FY 2009/10
- Carried out routine and periodic compliance inspection activities in 45 Urban Councils;
- All Urban Councils were assessed under national local government assessment exercise for 2009;
- Revenue enhancement plans developed by all Urban Councils;
- Participated in the national local government assessment exercise for 2009;
- Participated in the development and dissemination of the anti-corruption manual and strategy.
Planned Outputs for FY 2010/11
- Routine and periodic inspection carried out in 120 Urban Councils around the country;
- VFM reviews carried out to 20 LGs’ capital investments;
- Training and back up support to the financial management cadre in 48 Urban Councils conducted;
- National Assessment carried out in Urban Councils;
- Special investigations in at least 4 Urban Councils carried out;
- Support to Urban Councils to enhance local revenue mobilization;
- Support 22 Municipalities to improve public financial management systems.
Budget Allocations FY 2010/11 (shs million)